Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Less is more

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
lazy727
Chemist
lazy727

Less is more Empty
PostSubject: Less is more   Less is more EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 4:54 pm

I'm gonna give you guys some tips on the early stages of forum development. Less is more. The more forums, the less posts in your main sections, and less accessible it is. I'm not that vague though. I'll give you some real creative input you can use.

When a forum is new, each forum is much more distanced and people have to become comfortable posting in that section. For this reason, it is better to group things with similar ideas especially in the more niche tasted subjects.

Merge Anime with Manga

Merge movies,tv,and music and rename it Media

Misc is okay but could just as easily be used on the general discussion board which you want to be your central hub(and get as many posts as possible) for it is what the new users will use to become acquainted with posters. People come for the games but stay for the offtopic. A forum with a poor offtopic forum is not destined to go far. This is not directly tied to misc though and I have no problem with the misc section.

I like what you have done with the video game section. I probably would have kept discussion and news together because it's such a fine line. Like whose to say news isnt apart of discussion when it comes to moving threads? But I like what you did because it gives me another section to talk on and the news section is catching on fairly well.
Back to top Go down
Josh
Admin
Josh

Less is more Empty
PostSubject: Re: Less is more   Less is more EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 4:59 pm

lazy727 wrote:
I'm gonna give you guys some tips on the early stages of forum development. Less is more. The more forums, the less posts in your main sections, and less accessible it is. I'm not that vague though. I'll give you some real creative input you can use.

When a forum is new, each forum is much more distanced and people have to become comfortable posting in that section. For this reason, it is better to group things with similar ideas especially in the more niche tasted subjects.

Merge Anime with Manga

Merge movies,tv,and music and rename it Media

Misc is okay but could just as easily be used on the general discussion board which you want to be your central hub(and get as many posts as possible) for it is what the new users will use to become acquainted with posters. People come for the games but stay for the offtopic. A forum with a poor offtopic forum is not destined to go far. This is not directly tied to misc though and I have no problem with the misc section.

I like what you have done with the video game section. I probably would have kept discussion and news together because it's such a fine line. Like whose to say news isnt apart of discussion when it comes to moving threads? But I like what you did because it gives me another section to talk on and the news section is catching on fairly well.

Thanks for your input lazy....we appreciate your advice.
Back to top Go down
lazy727
Chemist
lazy727

Less is more Empty
PostSubject: Re: Less is more   Less is more EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 9:10 pm

You should allow us to talk in the Justin TV talk section so we can discuss the channel there.

When are you broadcasting again josh?
Back to top Go down
JasonRulesUDont
Chemist
JasonRulesUDont

Less is more Empty
PostSubject: Re: Less is more   Less is more EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 11:58 am

A have a bit of a similar suggestion. I think everything under Entertainment should just be on the front page, not a separate section you have to click to see.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jasonrulesudont.com
Kal
Admin
Kal

Less is more Empty
PostSubject: Re: Less is more   Less is more EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 9:12 pm

Taking all the sections out of the Entertainment section would put too many sections on the Home page. Also, I am trying to figure out a way to put the Movies, TV Series, Music, and Miscellaneous together in one section, but what would it be called? Personally, I want to keep the Anime and Manga sections separate.
Back to top Go down
http://justin.tv/multitapgaming
lazy727
Chemist
lazy727

Less is more Empty
PostSubject: Re: Less is more   Less is more EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 5:06 am

I would call it Media. I know you want to keep manga and anime apart but no one really discusses manga. Even anime is pretty niche on this forum. There's only a hand full of us and there are even less that read manga.
Back to top Go down
DarkKnightKhaos
Mod
DarkKnightKhaos

Less is more Empty
PostSubject: Re: Less is more   Less is more EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 4:23 pm

So Forums are kinda like Charmin Ultra?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Less is more Empty
PostSubject: Re: Less is more   Less is more Empty

Back to top Go down